Sunday, September 23, 2012

Thankful Post

You read it right, folks, today it's time for a thankful post. At RUF staff training over the summer, they warn all of us newbie interns of the perils we are soon to face. They warn us that we will be shocked by the weird differences of our new campuses. That we may not get along very well with our new campus minister at first. That we might feel profoundly lonely in the beginning. That students may never respond to our attempts to befriend and invest in them. In short, they warn us that we may question this whole thing, even after sweating out an awkward, tension-filled summer of support raising with deep desires to get to campus. I can't predict the future, so I'm not going to write all of this off from here on out, but I can assure you that no such complaint is on my mind right now. Thank you, Lord. Instead, here's what's been going on.

1) My campus: it's different. Very different. My students are very diverse in many ways (where they're from, economic backgrounds, religious upbringing, and personality), and the campus itself is about as opposite as it can be from my undergrad school. I mean, students use "long boards" (longer skateboards) to get around quite often. Never spotted a single one of those in bulldog territory. Yet with all of its differences, I do love it. It's an instructive, stretching difference for me, and it gives me a front row seat to see how God is working, because I'm officially 100% out of my league. God really does work through our weaknesses, and He has plenty of opportunity with me, as I am just as inexperienced at USF as the freshmen I'm meeting with.

2) My campus minister: ROCKS. Jeff and Jenny have welcomed me with open arms in more ways than I can express. It has been a joy to get to know them and their families, to work day in and day out with them, and to be encouraged by their strength and stamina in this hectic time of the semester. They know how to lean on God for strength and energy, and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful for that. That's not to mention the fact that Jenny and I love so many of the same things. It's going to be a good two years.

3) Feeling lonely: no, not really. Thank you, Reinke family. I can't say enough how grateful I am for them. They treat me like I'm one of the family, and it has made my experience completely different than it would have been. After a rocky "host family" experience in Spain, I'm floored. I was struck by the odd blessing of it all yesterday as we rode to Apopka to tube and celebrate many birthdays (Jeff and Jenny and their kids). A month later, here I am, IN TAMPA (a place that brought no mental pictures to my mind a mere month ago), piled into their family car just like that's normal for them (to have 3 girls around instead of 2, I mean). That's not to mention the roomie that I found: we're hoping to find a place together soon! I got to celebrate her birthday with her last night, and I think we will be fast friends. What's more, people have been connecting me with other folks in Tampa, and I've been able to meet people at my church and otherwise, thereby beating back loneliness almost entirely. Even though I'm in a place where I knew absolutely no one a few weeks ago. Who would have thought? God's gracious provision, to be sure.

4) My students: they respond. Well, most of the time. Which is saying a lot for college students! Again, I have to emphasize how much I can see God working in who is becoming involved in RUF at this point. It is such a blessing.

To the tune of students, fall conference was wonderful. Except for some storming, we had a great weekend of bonding, God's Word, and silly activities. More to come on that.

Last bit: I'm thankful for church. I've started a women's bible study on Tuesday mornings, and it has been a blessing so far. Many people have reached out to me, to meet me and encourage me in the past few weeks. I walked into the fellowship hall to see a large bulletin board full of RUF at USF, for goodness' sakes! (Complete with a rather large picture and explanation of me and what I do.) Yet again, my expectations were blown out of the water in regards to church life. This morning was an encouraging  picture of how heaven will be one day: all of God's people worshipping in joy together. Indeed, this will be. (Did I ever get around to explaining my blog title? It has much to do with this very sentiment!) Our hope is real and secure in Christ's return and our futures in glory with Him! So. It was a long "thankful post", and I could keep going, but I will spare you. As a congratulations for reading it all, here are some pictures. Thank you for your prayers, one and all.

Some of the girls at fall conference

Surprise celebration of Jeff's (campus minister) birthday after large group two weeks ago

Go bulls! My first USF game. What fun! Even though we lost. :( 

We had a great group of students there! Very spirited, as you can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment