Monday, May 14, 2012

Where I'm Headed

...Tampa!


I'll be working with campus minister Jeff Lee at the University of South Florida.


The University of South Florida (USF) has over 29,000 undergraduate students and its main branch in tampa is the 8th largest single campus public university in the nation. IT SOUNDS SO HUGE! Another interesting fact: not many students live on campus currently. Though the university is now making it mandatory for new freshmen to live on campus if they're not living at home. So most students either live just outside of campus or commute in everyday; some students have quite a lengthy commute. For my fellow Birminghamians, it sounds a bit like a slightly bigger UAB. In fact, they have a big emphasis on research as well.

There's lots of opportunities for RUF at USF, because students are looking for something more than the typical commuter experience in college. Like students at any university, students are looking for friends, community, and to have fun when they're not busy studying! It can be harder to find that, though, on a campus where many people come in only for class and then head back home. RUF is a great place to meet friends, form community, get plugged in, and serve, so I'm wonderfully excited to head on down to Tampa.

I wonder if I'll find anyone who will use the word "y'all" quite as much as I do? In all seriousness, I've always heard that Florida is not the south, so I'm interested to discover just what that means.

Check out RUF at USF's website here: http://www.usf.ruf.org/

As I learn more about Tampa and USF, I'll keep you updated. For now, go Bulls!


No comments:

Post a Comment